One situation that we regularly forget to prepare for is emergencies during business hours.
Asking yourself the important questions now will help prepare you for the worst-case scenario later:
- Can you comfortably wait for emergency services in your workplace for up to 48 hours without power or water?
- What are the hazards specific to your workplace and do you have a plan to manage them?
- How will you communicate with your family during an emergency and where will you meet up?
An Emergency Response Plan can help answer these questions plus assigning roles and responsibilities, evacuation points and assembly procedures and ensuring resources are bought and maintained regularly.
Suggestions for workplace emergency supplies include:
- Full first aid kit
- Torch and Batteries
- Radio and Batteries
- Gloves and dust mask
- Enough drinking water for all of your employees for at least 48 hours (and water purification tablets to sterilise more water)
- Enough non-perishable food for all employees for at least 48 hours (check annually).
- Hard Hat
- Gas stove and spare gas
- Sanitary Needs
- Toilet paper
- Other relevant tools
www.getready.govt.nz also suggests employees should keep a ‘Get Home Kit’ in the workplace including suitable footwear, warm clothing, masks, a torch or headlight and food/water.
You can find more workplace emergency resources at www.aucklandemergencymanagement.org.nz/work-ready