The Cost of Living Payment is a payment to help with the rising costs of inflation. It is for people who meet the eligibility criteria.
The IRD will check who is eligible for the Cost of Living Payment before each monthly payment is made. They say, you’ll get the payment if, on the day we check for eligibility, they can confirm you:
- have assessed net income of $70,000 or less in the period 1 April 2021 to 31 March 2022
- are not entitled to receive the Winter Energy Payment because you get NZ Super or a qualifying benefit from Ministry of Social Development (MSD)
- are aged 18 or older
- are both a New Zealand tax resident and present here
- are not in prison.
- The total Cost of Living Payment is $350 which will be split into 3 monthly payments starting 1 August.For most people the 3 main payment dates are:
- 1 August 2022 – $116.67
- 1 September 2022 – $116.67
- 3 October (the first business day of the month) – $116.66.